“Life Celebrated Perfectly…by the Sea”
Our Coastline Memorial Service creates a special place onshore that will overlook your loved one’s final resting place at sea. While you remain onshore, our captain will respectfully scatter your loved one’s ashes at sea. Being able to view your loved one’s memorial take place from a vantage point along the beautiful coastline is the perfect tribute for those who found peace within the sea.
You are able to choose from both private and public locations such as one of our local piers, the beach, churches, and countless gathering points along the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Each unique location offers breathtaking views and provides the perfect setting for your loved one’s final voyage.
There are many public and private locations that can accommodate a gathering or Celebration of Life directly after the Coastline Memorial has taken place. Whether you are looking for a dinner reservation or a private party, we can help guide you in the right direction.
- Cremated remains are placed in a beautiful wicker basket lined with Ti leaves and covered in a flower arrangement of your choice.
- Upon arrival to your chosen location, the boat will be located offshore and a Pacific Ocean Charter representative will be waiting for you. Your representative is there for your support throughout the duration of the service. They are also equipped with a hand-held radio that allows them to communicate directly with the captain and binoculars to better view the memorial service.
- An orange Coastline Memorial flag is flown alongside your loved one’s custom flag that will display their name.
- When you are ready, the captain will gently and respectfully scatter your loved one’s ashes into the sea. A prayer or blessing can be requested for the captain to recite upon scattering. All scattering takes place 500 yards offshore.
- Once your loved one has been laid to rest at sea, the captain will lower the flags to half mast, and the boat will circle around the sea burial site three times in respectful recognition of your loved one.
- The captain will log your loved one’s exact sea burial site coordinates.
- To conclude your loved one’s Coastline Memorial, the captain will sound off a signal cannon and your representative will capture any desired onshore photos.
Following the service, an Official Scattering at Sea certificate and wallet card are given to you onsite. Each state your loved one’s name and the sea burial site GPS coordinates. Your custom plaque will arrive within 2 weeks of your service date and all onshore photography is received within 5 days.
Choice of service flowers for basket arrangement
Official Scattering at Sea Certificate & wallet card
Custom flag that displays your loved one’s name
Onshore photography provided by Pacific Ocean Charter representative
Custom plaque that features a photo of your choice and your loved one’s sea burial site coordinates
Our photo and film packages offer another uplifting keepsake that capture all of the special moments of your loved one’s final voyage.
Prices vary and are available upon request.
Advantages to Viewing a Memorial at Sea from the Coastline
1. On the ocean and on shore, we are with you every step of the way. The captain on the vessel will take care of your loved one, and a Pacific Ocean Charter representative will accompany your family’s party on shore.
2. You do not have to deal with the elements of the ocean. Many people are prone to seasickness, get nervous or uncomfortable, or are physically unable to board a vessel. Viewing from the coastline allows you to be safe and comfortable, especially when weather conditions are not ideal.
3. No one gets left behind. You can have a much larger party attend the memorial. Viewing from the coastline enables you to be surrounded by all your loved ones rather than be limited to a select few.
4. Viewings from the coastline are safer and more accessible for children, elderly and handicap individuals. This service allows everyone to be a part of the memorial service.
5. Encourages a Celebration of Life to take place directly after the viewing. Our public and private locations allow families to coordinate a Celebration of Life directly after the viewing. We can put you in contact with the right representatives at multiple locations located along the coastline who understand the service we provide and ensure that you spend your time focusing on the celebration of your loved.
6. Reduces the risk of cancellations. Memorials at Sea require prime weather conditions, and when the weather is not favorable, memorials are often re-scheduled last minute. Viewing from the coastline significantly reduces the chance of a postponement as our captains can successfully conduct memorials in less than perfect conditions.
Please see our page “Cremation Information” to obtain the necessary documentation to scatter at sea and how to safely ship urns.
When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused. Every time I stand before a beautiful beach, its waves seem to whisper to me: If you choose the simple things and find joy in nature’s simple treasures, life and living need not be so hard. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.